Every school has to have a Governing Body made up of a number of governors to oversee the running of the school.
Our Head Teacher, Mrs Chalk, organises and manages the school on a day to day basis, within policies and guidance agreed by the Governing Body and the Academy Trust of Melksham.
The governors are accountable to the Academy Trust, the Diocese, the local authority and, most importantly our community – our children, our staff, our parents and our local people.
The governing body is responsible for:
- Making sure the school provides the best possible education for all its pupils.
- All major decisions about the school and its future.
- Setting the school’s vision and strategic aims,
- Monitoring and evaluating performance to ensure the school is accountable to those it serves.
- Acting as a critical friend to the head teacher
- Setting budgets, policies and targets
So how do we do this?
- The Full Governing Body meet six times each academic year – that is approximately every 2 months
- In addition to this there are two standing committees; Standards and Finance & Premises Committee. All governors are on at least one committee and some are on two! These committees meet at least every two months and sometimes more if there is urgent business to attend to.
- There is an Ethos Committee that meets to ensure the Christian Ethos is maintained in all that the school do.
- There are also a number of different panels that are required for different issues as they arise, such as admissions, exclusions, staff pay etc.
So what do we do exactly?
The Governors with the support of the Head Teacher and staff consider issues and make decisions on a wide range of issues such as the following:
- Child Protection
- The curriculum
- School budget
- Discipline and attendance
- Communication with key stakeholders
- Ofsted inspection
- Health, safety and welfare
- Control and use of school premises
- Organisational change
How do we know what’s going on in the school?
- Each governor has a number of delegated responsibilities with regard to subject areas – called link governors.These cover all of the subject areas as well child protection, health and safety and IT.
- Governors make regular link visits to the school to learn more about the areas they are responsible for and then feedback to the rest of the governing body.
What sort of people make up the Governors?
To be a really effective set of governors it is healthy to have a good cross section of the community represented. Each school’s governing body has a specific make up depending on what type of school it is.
Before we became an academy, our school was a Voluntary Aided Primary School and as such the Governing Body is made up of:
- Five Foundation Governors who are appointed by the church
- Two Parent Governors who are elected by parents
- Two Staff Governors (including the Head Teacher) who represent the staff
How do you know what the Governing Body are doing?
- The minutes of the Governing Body meetings are on the school website, so you can read up about what’s going on.
- Important decisions are also communicated through the school newsletter.
How You Can Contact Us?
If you would like the Governors to consider an issue, please write or email the Clerk to the Governors – Danny Holland on email@example.com or via the school office.