Sports’ provision and funding at Seend Church of England Primary School
Seend C. of E. Primary School provides 2 hours of sports’ provision a week, as part of the curriculum, and a range of extra curricular sporting activities. Seend School prides itself on the value it places on sport and physical education. It boosts self esteem and confidence, reinforces team work, provides an outlet for built up energy and improves health and fitness – all of which can only have a positive impact on the children’s general education.
We enter a range of local competitive events / tournaments / leagues covering football, netball, hockey, swimming and athletics. Our large hall, playground and field provide ample space for a variety of physical activities throughout the day.
Our P.E. curriculum covers knowledge, skills and understanding within the areas of games, gymnastics, dance, athletics (KS1 and 2), swimming and outdoor/ adventurous activities (KS2 only). These lessons are delivered in two, 1 hour sessions each week over the course of a year.
As well as the class teacher delivering P.E. lessons, we also employ a sports’ coach to not only deliver part of the curriculum but also to lead the development of the subject within the school and advise and support the school in delivering best practice. Our coach is Level 2 trained and regularly attends courses across a variety of sporting disciplines. One lesson a week is also delivered to the year 5/6 class through an outreach programme provided by Dauntsey’s Secondary School.
We offer a variety of sporting extra curricular activities; some which are offered for a term and others which go on throughout the year. Across the year 2016-2017 these will include:
- Football (Juniors) Run by Active Trowbridge
- Netball (yrs 4-6) Run by our own P.E. teacher
- Judo (yrs 1-6) Run by an instructor from Devizes Budo Club
- Multi-skill (yrs 1-3) Run Active Trowbridge
- Street Surfing (yrs 3-6) Run by Active Trowbridge
- Tag-Rugby (yrs 3-6) Run by Active Trowbridge
- Hockey (yrs 3-6) Run by Active Trowbridge
- Athletics (yrs 3-6 Run by Active Trowbridge
The government is providing additional funding of £8000 per school plus £5 per pupil over 5 for academic years 2015 to 2016 and again in 2016 to 2017 to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools.
For Seend C. of E. Primary School this means a grant of approximately £8500 each year.
Seend School agreed to spend this grant on the following:
Spending for 2015-2016:
- Provision of a running track around the school field
- The employment of a sports coaches to provided one of the weekly sessions of p.e. per class
Impact of spending:
- More active children at play-times by creating space off the playground to run – especially used in wet weather when the field is not being used.
- High quality p.e. provision delivered by specialist
- Children attending local tournaments regularly achieve a high level despite being against bigger schools
Proposed spending for 2016-2017:
- Employment of p.e. teacher to deliver one session of p.e. per week to each class, to support teachers in their p.e. provision and to take on the role of p.e. subject leader – coordinating teams and attending tournaments
- A contribution towards a changing room facility – allowing the older children to change for p.e. separately and to provided more appropriate facilities for after school clubs (with the intention that a greater up-take and enjoyment will be had in sport.)